The Canadian Library Association announced the shortlist for the Young Adult Book Award. This award recognizes an author of an outstanding English-language Canadian work of fiction that appeals to young adults between the ages of 13 and 18. Congratulations to Julie Johnston!
“Johnston has crafted a beautifully written, low-key, yet emotional story of a family dealing with the return of a son at the close of war. Jamie is wracked with survivor’s guilt…. His letters to Rachel … are painfully realistic, the antithesis of the glamour that teens too often assign to war….” — Starred Review, Booklist
“Filled with bumbling characters who achingly love each other, this coming-of-age tale rises above a crowded field to take readers on a moving journey of discovery.” — Starred Review, Kirkus Reviews
Congratulations to the other shortlisted authors:
- The Silent Summer of Kyle McGinley by Jan Andrews
- Graffiti Knight by Karen Bass
- The Gypsy King by Maureen Fergus
- Nix Minus One by Jill MacLean
- The Oathbreaker’s Shadow by Amy McCulloch
- Not Your Ordinary Wolf Girl by Emily Pohl-Weary
- Audacious by Gabrielle Prendergast
- The Color of Silence by Liane Shaw
- The Unlikely Hero of Room 13B by Teresa Toten
Thank you to the Jury Members who took the time to read, discuss, and narrow the list down – not an easy task! The winner of the award, and the Honour Books, will be announced the week of April 14th. The award will be presented at the Canadian Library Association 2014 National Conference and Trade Show in Victoria, BC on May 29 at the annual awards reception.